Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Chicken Antics - The Good, The Bad and the Downright Annoying

Silly Timbits

When I walked into the coop this morning, I found Timbits in a nest box. Ah, that happens on occasion. The fact she lays at all amazes me, considering all she's been through. As I do my chores and general chicken management (with four different chicken sections and a sub-section within a section, chicken management becomes a skill to be honed). About half way through, Timbits informs me that her egg has been laid. This is done by clucking loudly and generally making an unearthly noise. So I go check because she'll keep up that metal-buckets-falling-down-concrete-stairs racket until I do. So I peek in the nest box where she was setting... Ha! Nice try, Timbits! I know that is not your egg because it's too big and it's GREEN. Only Leah lays green eggs.
You's a silly hen, Timbits.

Duck and SilverWing

Duck, on the left, and SilverWing, on the right, came from the same set of eggs, set under the same hen and hatched at the same time. Despite the unexplained size difference, they hang together all the time, you can't see one without seeing the other. They're both Americaunas and I'm hoping they are females, which is why I call them Duck and SilverWing. If I knew they were roosters, I'd call 'em Grimli and Legolas.

There's Always One in the Bunch...

I planted corn, sunflowers and snowpeas in front of the chick run to provide some shade for the little guys. There's always one that can manage to find a way out and eat all the snowpea vines, shred the corn leaves and tug on the sunflowers, generally causing wreck, ruin and mayhem. Well satisfied with himself, he looks around and panics because he realizes he can't get back into the run. Catching panicked mayhem is becoming my specialty and a vital part of my chicken management program.

No comments: