Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Introducing Leah!

I have a new chicken! Yes, I know, I need another chicken like I need a hole in my head, but this is a very special chicken (really). And since I bartered a broody hen for her, it's not like there's one more chicken, it's just a different chicken. The numbers stay the same, never mind if the number is too high to start with.

Leah is about a year old and she is not a dual purpose chicken, she is a layer. When Don first saw her in the coop, he mentioned she wasn't the prettiest looking bird in the world. In the shade, she does look a very plain black. But in the sun, when the rays catch her feathers, beautiful iridescent colours emerge, mostly in different shades of translucent green, from deep grass green to sea foam. She puts a disco ball to shame. She just shines in the sun. Unfortunately, try as I might, I couldn't get the camera to catch the glints of green.

So why did I really want this chicken? Because she lays green eggs. Dr. Seuss has come back to haunt me. Leah is an Ameraucana also known in some circles as an Easter Egger because the eggs come in a variety of colours. While Leah lays green eggs, others will lay blue, violet, etc. eggs. There's a big discussion how true Ameraucanas will lay only blue eggs, all the other colors are from mixed birds but as far as I'm concerned I'll let the purists figure that one out and I'll just enjoy my green egg laying chicken.

No comments: