Saturday, August 7, 2010

Two Months Old and Going Strong!


My little turkeys are almost two months old now. They're finally catching up to the chickens in size. At first, the turkeys chicks were much smaller than the chicken chicks. As they developed, they showed a different body type, longer and narrower (and that famous turkey neck thing going on). Now they are about the same size as the chooks and I'm thinking the two will start outgrowing their coop-mates shortly.

Not surprisingly, I have no idea if they are toms or hens. They both look identical so I'm thinking they might be the same sex. The lady I got the eggs from told me to look for differences in the head, neck and tails. Male turkey heads are a little pinker than females. Right now both my turkeys have beige - light brown heads. Male turkey necks will have a little more hanging skin. I'm not noticing that yet. But they are small and it's hard to see under their necks. If I'm holding them, they are more interested in cuddling or talking up a storm than obligingly stretching out their necks in an upside down position so I'm not even trying. The biggest 'tell' apparently is the males will start fanning their tails while females never do this. No fanning yet that I've seen. So I'm thinking, may-be, perhaps, there is a chance, that these two are hens. Which would be the best case scenario because I might be able to get a tom this fall from the seller. So I would have my trio for over-winter.

They're both still are sweet and personable. If they are not grooming themselves, they are grooming the chickens, especially the Delawares. They get along with the other birds. In fact, one little turkey managed to get out of the chick area and spend the night with the adult chickens. I found him there in the morning, fitting in like a dirty shirt. I was thinking of just putting the two in the main coop since they'd get along with everybody but I really want the turkeys to be on grower crumbles for the next three months or so. They still run over to me, usually blabbing away in that unique semi-musical chirp they have. You can always tell when there's a turkey around, their voice is one-of-a-kind.


Ever curious, a turkey will stop whatever he's doing to see what I am doing (that or he's just mugging for the camera). The Delaware chicken, on the other hand, couldn't care less and continues to eat.








Well, no tail fanning, no hanging neck skin and no pinker head, indicating a hen. But what do I know? (not much according to the chickens).

No comments: