Thursday, August 5, 2010

Something's Missing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To Ten Million Fireflies
I'm Weird 'Cause I Hate Goodbyes
I Got Misty Eyes As They Said Farewell
"Fireflies" by Owl City, 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
`
At my Grandparents farm (Hilda and Bernard) or going camping, I marvelled at the firefly. As a little kid chasing the magical pale green flash there was an excitement. As an adult sitting on my porch watching the fireflies green beacon float intermittently over my lawn there's a sense of calm the accompanies childhood memories. As a grandma I pointed out fireflies to my grandkids and watched them light up with amazement as the fireflies put on their early evening show.
`
In the last two years, I haven't seen one firefly. Not one. And I've been looking. Apparently fireflies are disappearing worldwide. There's even a Firefly Watch program. The usual culprit is to blame - Man. I have learned that loss of habitat and light pollution is likely to blame for the declining numbers. I miss the fireflies and I'm going to try to see if there's anything I can do to help them make a comeback in my little part of the world. I hope that sweet, peppy innocent song I quoted at the top isn't sadly prophetic.

2 comments:

Northern Farmer said...

I think I've seen one or two up here this year, but I can share some good news... we saw thousands in Costa Rica just a few months ago!
They were truly incredible, I'm originally from the UK where there are none, so I really appreciated them.

Marnie said...

How interesting, I wouldn't have thought Costa Rica would have fireflies! I used to live in around the area you are now and I remember fireflies in the early evening, not only in the country but in town, too.