Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Basil Garlic Pickled Green Beans

Well, the beans are done! I have pulled the plants and the freezer has bags and bags of green and yellow beans. So I decided to make Basil Garlic Pickled Green Beans. It might sound less than appetizing but they do taste wonderful and the beans stay crunchy. I hate mushy pickles of any sort.

It's a very simple recipe but like most pickles, it is time consuming. I need about 25 beans per jar, 2 - 3 garlic cloves, basil leaves and peppercorns. The peppercorns are quick, open the jar, pour 'em out. Everything else needs to be picked, washed, chopped and/or peeled. The brine is simple and fast. The recipe says not to use softened water so I always buy a jug of water to make the pickled beans. I'm not crazy about bottled water but buying one jug once a year is something I can live with. I have tried to find out why I can't use softened water but can't find any info on it.

So I prepare the jars and put the flavours in the bottom. While I'm doing that, I get the water going in the canner and the water for the lids. It's taken me a couple of canning sessions to figure out when to get the water bath canner going. At first I started it way too late and was waiting forever for the water to boil while my jars sat on the counter. A propane stove would probably heat the water much faster, come to think of it. I do four jars at a time so the bottles stay hot.

After putting the garlic, basil and peppercorns in, I stuff 'em full of green beans. The beans need to be upright and cut to fit. I find it's easier to put the first half of the beans in with the jar on its side. After the jar is stuffed with beans, I pour the hot brine into the jars and put on the lids and rings. Then it's into the water canner for a bit.


Hot from the canner, I put them on a towel to cool completely. As the jars seal, I hear a satisfying 'pop'. If the lid is curved downward in the middle, the seal is good. Once they are cooled completely, I'll check the seal and store them. They need about four weeks for the flavours to blend and deepen. After that, it's great snack food with crackers and cheese or to serve with meals.

No comments: