Monday, August 30, 2010

Baby Corn!!!

Wow, that was fast! The baby corn was planted in the middle - late June and some of it's ready now. They're a little bit bigger than I expected, certainly bigger than the ones in the can or frozen from the store. The seed package said to pick the ears when the corn silk turned brown. But I'm thinking if I want smaller corns, I shouldn't wait that long. They're tasty though and very easy to freeze.

I did find out that sometimes on regular corn stalks you can find one or two baby corn growing with the big ear of corn, just at the base. I have never seen that here but I wasn't looking for it, either. I will keep an eye out for when the regular corn is ready.

One thing I won't do again is transplant baby corn in with the regular corn. It's a bit of a challenge to figure out what is what. The baby corn stalks are just as tall and robust as the regular ones. I knew the baby corns for sure were the ones with the brown corn silk but that's not going to help much if I want to start picking it before it turns brown. I only transplanted the baby corns because the second seeding of regular corn was rather erratic and there were lots of empty spaces in the rows. The baby corn I had planted in front of the chick run to provide some shade for them was thick and over-crowded so I figured it'd be a good idea to move some. I've read corn doesn't do well when transplanted but this stuff did great.

I am going to save a few cobs for seeds. I hope they will sprout but they may not if this corn is hybrid and is unable to re-produce itself. For the time being, I'll just enjoy what I have!

No comments: