Monday, January 18, 2010

K-K-Keeping Ch-Ch-Chickens C-C-Comfortable in the C-C-Cold

Chandler and one of his ladies waiting for Pumpkin

We haven't had any real deep freezes yet, unlike this time last year. The coop was -7 C today and that's the coldest it has been in there for weeks. Chanteclers and Orpingtons are considered winter-hardy birds and can handle -7 pretty well. Captain Morgan has a wee bit of frostbite on the very tips of his comb but it doesn't seem to be bothering him. I was a little surprised though, because that didn't happen last year until the second -25 C plus deep freeze.

-7C is cold enough to warrant baking up a nice pumpkin for them. They do love their warm pumpkin on cold mornings! I change the waterer making sure the water is warm. I really believe the chickens appreciate my little attempts at trying to make them as comfortable as possible. They cluck softly and look at me brightly. It's a 'Cozy Coop' feeling. Then I notice those little pumpkin guts threads hanging out of their mouths and that kind of breaks the moment. Adds a little comedy, though.

I count heads and check combs and feet. I wonder over Splash yet again. I just don't know what Splash is. At first I thought she was a pure Chantecler. Then I noticed a couple of startling white feathers. After her first molt, more white feathers appeared. I don't know if it is just a throwback some Chanteclers have or if she is a mix. But white feathers on a mix doesn't make sense either because I don't have any white birds. At first I started calling her 'White, The Feather' then I realized the the initials were WTF; that's not really very complementary (though it was a pretty accurate description of those white feathers). Don came up with 'Splash' and it suits not only her looks, but her personality. She's a bright and chipper kind of bird, always adds a 'splash' of personality to any group she's in. So the coop is in pretty good shape this winter, so far. The chickens been getting out quite a bit due to the warm(ish) weather. The two roos are getting along quite nicely, too.

I have lost one hen, though. One of the only three Chantecler hens I have. She had a prolapsed oviduct. I am not going to describe or explain that too much, it's not... well, it's a little... actually it's ... surprisingly not painful for the hen, anyhow. For those with insatiable curiosity and a strong stomach, I suggest you google it. When I first noticed it, I separated her and did what I could for her. She seemed happy and content. After a couple of days, it even looked like it was getting better. Then one morning I found that she had died during the night. She's been the only loss this winter so far. Hopefully I won't have anymore.
Splash Sittin' Pretty

No comments: