Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Rabbits' New Digs

I have finally started moving the rabbits into their new colony setting. I started with these two does, Sunfire and Solstice. Solstice is in front, Sunfire, doing her impression of rug, is in the back. I have had Sunfire since I started rabbits. She has just a great temperament and loves to talk to me in little contented grunts. I figure she'll have one more litter then she'll just live in the colony enjoying her well earned retirement. Solstice is her daughter. She's just like her mom in temperament and raising litters.

Both rabbits are having a great time in their new setting. They can hop up on the shelf and stretch waaaay up any time they want.They certainly do enjoy socializing with each other. They clean each others faces and share treats willingly and cuddle up together for naps. It's funny because when I mentioned to a few experienced rabbit breeders that I was hoping to raise my rabbits in a colony, I was told that they would fight and probably kill each other because they were so territorial. I found with gentle and slow introductions, there has been no problems so far. Perhaps it's because they have so much more room it's easier to share the space.

I've been raising meat rabbits now for a couple of years and I have to say, I'm enjoying it much more than I expected to. My rabbits are so mellow and laid back. There's nothing like doing mundane rabbit chores to the background noises of contented munching and hay being rustled into place for that perfect bunny daybed. Their contentment just surrounds me. It is amazing how their peacefulness permeates the very space they are in and somehow I absorb it and make it my own. Working with the rabbits is one of my favorite chores.

Originally my rabbits were in big roomy cages and had a little play area where they got out to run around. But I really liked the idea of colony raising rabbits. It sounded like it would be the best situation for having happy rabbits. After a great deal of research, I decided on an indoor colony instead of an outdoor colony. Outdoor colonies, while more "natural", came with a lot more problems from what I could tell. Rabbits were much more at risk from not only predators but from diseases. So I opted for the indoor colony setting where they'd be safer and it would be a lot easier to monitor everyone's health.

When we built the chicken coop, we partitioned off two areas, 5 ft X 8 ft. The walls separating the rabbits from the chickens are about 2 feet high and the rest of the wall is chicken wire. That way, ventilation is not impeded and the rabbits are not exposed to chicken droppings. I'm hoping to add shelves and runs to give them even more square footage. Each area will have two does, may-be three, and one buck.

Of course, there has been unexpected bonuses like the perk of low solid walls, they have made for some unexpected amusement on my part. It's kind of funny to walk into the coop and find a group of chickens gathered by the wall looking into the rabbit colony. With their necks stretched out to the fullest and cocking their heads at weirdest angles, they look like demented bobble-heads. The chickens are obviously fascinated by the rabbits and something as mundane as Solstice washing her ears is cause for great chicken interest and amazement. On the other hand, when a hen lays an egg and start clucking, the rabbits run to the wall, stretch way up and peer into the coop looking to see what all the fuss is about. I'm glad they can see each other, if nothing else it keeps everyone from being bored.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you use for flooring so they don't dig out?

Marnie said...

I just used plywood, underneath that is 1/2 inch by 1 inch square wire to primarily keep the rats and other critters out.