Sunday, November 16, 2008

Guinea Fowls

In addition to the little guinea in the brooder downstairs. I now have three more. I was told they were very interesting and great bug eaters and would be such an asset in the garden. What I wasn't told was Guineas are walking contradictions. If you look at their heads, they strongly resemble buzzards, very ugly right down to their ugly ruffled necks. If you just look at their bodies, they're quite pretty with light dots sprinkled liberally through the base colors. You can see some of the white dots on the middle bird. The light bird's colour is lavender, the two others are blues, which while not all that accurate, does sound better than light ugly and dark ugly.

Guineas have the prettiest voices, all soft whistles. They talk to each other constantly, sounding like the worlds smallest woodwinds. That is, of course, until they "sound the alarm" as Guinea aficionados quaintly call it. That's what they do if the see a predator or something they just don't like, like long grass blowing the wrong way. The first time I heard them sound off, I thought something big and heavy must have fallen on them. What a racket, imagine a duck with a sore throat and turn up the volume to ear-bleed level.

While they can fly and fly high, like 25 feet up into the trees high, they prefer to stay on the ground. They will only fly if threatened. On the ground, guineas are very fast, in fact when they scoot, you can't even see their feet. I think they curl the feet up and make little roller skates out of them.

Since they are originally from Africa, I have decided to call them after my favorite African American actor. Their names are James, Earl and Jones. James is the light one, Earl and Jones are pretty much interchangeable right now. If they turn out to be girls, I'll call them Jamie, Pearl and Janes. I have no idea if they are male or female. Apparently you can tell by listening to them; males have a one-note call, females have a two-note call. I can't tell the difference it's all Greek to me.

After a week long transitional phase, they seemed to have settled in quite nicely. That first week was quite the experience but that's another story.

No comments: