Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hidden Sunshine

I woke up to rather grey and miserable day. You can't tell in this picture but it's raining. If I look closely enough, I can spot the occasion snow flake swirling around in between the raindrops. I'm making a point of not looking real close. The DaM is full of fury and promise as the spring run-off makes an appearance. The wind is not so much blowing as it is snarling around the porch posts and through the tree branches.

Ah well, these days happen, so upwards and onwards. The unwelcome rain will help dislodge the even more unwelcome snow patches stubbornly squatting in the low lying areas. There'll be lots of sunny days to be outside I tell my itchy feet and longing heart (geez, that sounds like something Billy Ray Cyrus would sing about =0). Besides, there's a whole bunch of things I can do indoors that will complement the run-of-the-mill chores...I just have to find them.


The first order of the day, then, will be to start a fire. There's nothing like a good, brisk fire to take the chill and damp out of the day. So I hunt around looking for a few juniper logs to start the furnace. I love the smell of burning juniper.

As the house gets warm and cosy I make a few phone calls. My dear neighbour is in the hospital and I want to hear how she's doing. Nobody's answering; well, he's probably over at the hospital visiting with her. Another call is more productive and I get the low-down on all the doings in and out of our area. This isn't gossip, you understand, it's just news the papers don't see fit to print :P. It's nice connecting with people when the day is dreary, it adds a brightness.

I discover the very first shoots of my celery seeds spearing through the earth. They look so delicate! Barely discernible to the naked eye, they are on the thinnest of stems and the two leaves look like pin-pricks. I don't mind looking real close to spy pale green shoots. I also discover a couple of watermelon shoots. They're big and bold and basically shouting to the world, "We're HERE, we're HERE!!! Let the bells ring out and cheering start 'cause WE'RE HERE!!!" Deafening joy without a sound.

So the day goes. The the kids tromp in and supper needs to be made. It's a perfect day for comfort food so I whip up a rabbit stir fry with fluffy mashed potatoes and dipping sauce. So for a grey day, it was awfully sunshiny around here.

No comments: