Friday, February 12, 2010

Beltsville Small White Turkeys

I think this whole raising my own small livestock is getting addicting. Started with rabbits and then with chickens. I pretty much thought that would be that. Granted, I kept keeping more and more of them so the original number of both have doubled at least. (Isn't that a sign of addiction, needing more and more?) Then came the Guineas. Then the worms. And now it looks like turkeys are on the horizon. Turkeys, how on earth did ever get to the point where I'd be considering turkeys? I think I need a 12 step program here.

Not just any old turkeys, of course, that wouldn't do. (Oh, lookit, I'm a snobby addict.) These little turkeys are heritage Beltsville Turkeys. I saw a local ad for the fertilized eggs. The name intrigued me, I'd never heard of them, so I googled them. Beltsville Turkeys are smaller than normal turkeys and they are reputed to be the perfect homestead bird, as far as turkeys go, anyhow. One of the advantages of the Beltsville is that they can breed naturally. I was absolutely amazed to learn that now a days, most turkeys need to be artificially inseminated. I don't know, that just seems wrong. Turkeys that can breed all on their own are the only kind that would work around here, thank you very much.

Then I did some research on the general care of turkeys and what it entailed. I think raising turkeys would fit right in here. I found out that turkeys are seasonal layers, I never knew that. I guess the geniuses-that-be haven't yet figured out how to breed/genetically modify that out of the poor things yet.

Yesterday I contacted the lady with the eggs and it looks like in mid-March or so, I'm going to be getting some Beltsville Turkey eggs to incubate. I'm hoping to get a dozen but it all depends on how many she can collect in a given time. Originally, I thought I'd raise these Beltsville turkeys mostly for our table but now I'm thinking may-be keeping a trio over winter. That way I could have the two females hatch their own eggs the next spring. So I can feed both the family and my own livestock addiction at the same time!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I was just wondering how they hatched out for you and how are they growing. i would love to get my hands on some of those turkey eggs!!!!
Wendy

Marnie said...

Well, 5 of 6 hatched out and 2 of those survived. You can read about their progress under the label "Turkeys" on the sidebar.