Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dusk and the Rabbits

Today I decided to breed my does for the last time before spring. I like to give my rabbits a break from raising litters over the winter. So I was puttering around, letting the rabbits do their thing when Dusk wandered in. I don't mind when Dusk comes to visit, he's always well behaved. Of course, it helps that he has absolutely no prey drive at all. While it might be a dogs' 'nature' to run down a rabbit, it's not in Dusk's nature to even dream of harming another creature.

Hanging with the rabbits is a special treat for Dusk. If working with the rabbits is my favorite chore, it's definitely Dusk's favorite pastime as well. When he sees them, his ears perk up and the tail starts going a mile a minute. He doesn't mind baby rabbits climbing all over him and he likes to visit everyone. His favorite buddy seems to be Ocean. Ocean is a Creme D'Argent and my main buck. None of the rabbits are frightened of Dusk but most just ignore him. Not Ocean, though, he seems to like Dusk's company as much as Dusk likes his. Ocean will hop right over to him and settle down next to him. I don't know if you'd call it friendship but it sure looks like it's a mutual understanding.

Ocean and Dusk hanging out, shooting the rabbit poo.

No comments: