Thursday, July 2, 2009

All I Have to Do Now Is The Weeding

And may-be a little comfrey tea in a few weeks...probably top dress the plants at some point, too. But the point is the garden is in. It took longer than usual because the store-bought seeds were dismal. After two weeks, I realized not much was going to come up so I re-planted carrots, snow peas and beans.

I bought a flat of cucumbers because mine from seed didn't seem to be doing much. I think the biggest problem with mine was the flat they were in was on the top shelf on my silly greenhouse when it was toppled by the wind. Many cucumbers perished that day and the remaining ones were grievously wounded, out of the whole flat only six remained. When I went out to plant the new ones, I notice that mine are going like gangbusters. Guess I'll be making lots of pickles and celery relish this year. If I have too much, I can always add a jar or two into my Christmas baskets. Homemade anything seems to be well-appreciated (except if given to a teenager, but the look of mortification and horror on their faces is a Christmas gift in itself.)

The corn is doing really well, it's about 8 - 10 inches high now. The zucchini and pumpkins have flowers and the zucchini already have little tiny baby zucs. The tomatoes I bought are budding, the ones I grew are doing well too. The ones I left in that embarrassing cold frame seem to be much bigger than the ones I transplanted.

So it is done and I'm happy about it. The war on weeds is going full blast and I'm hoping to get out today to pick the ripe strawberries. Gardening is the coolest thing :).

No comments: