Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Long, Cold Week, And It Ain't Done Yet

I doubt if the temperature has hit any higher than 18 C since Sunday. We've actually run the wood furnace at night to warm up the house a bit. It's been cool and dry which is a little unusual, usually when it's cool and cloudy like this, we'd have a lot of rain. I do want rain, with all the new seeds and plants, it takes regular waterings for a while to establish them. So I'm hauling out the hose and sprinkler to water every other day or so. The sprinkler is the type that goes back and forth. I have to move it four times to cover the main garden. Takes about 2 1/2 hours to water both the main garden and the annex.

The weather network has been calling for rain all week but other than a couple of drops just to annoy the chickens, there hasn't been any. The weatherman (person?) keeps promising, but the reality doesn't quite live up to the expectations. Pretty much like our politicians, except the weather people are generally much more likable.

Other than the lack of rain, the cool temperatures are concerning. I believe seeds need warmth and sunshine to sprout. I think the garden will be off to a late start. But that doesn't mean that everything is a wash. It's been my observation that once the warm, sunny weather kicks in, the garden makes up for lost time.

Today started cool and cloudy, not a big surprise there. By the time I had finished collecting the greens for my rabbits, there was a gentle, consistent (that being the operative word, spurts, spats and dribbles don't count as real rain. ) rain falling. Now if it would only warm up!

No comments: