Thursday, May 28, 2009

More Layers

The little chicks hatched out last January have started laying eggs. I recognise the eggs from the new hens because the eggs are so small, just a little bigger than Mandellas'. I found the first one last Sunday. When I went into the coop that morning, I did find a new hen sitting in an actual nest box. At the time,I doubted that she was actually laying an egg. I figured she was practicing for the big event or may-be just pretending to be a big girl. Later in the day, I found a little roundish brown egg where she had been setting. I guess she showed me. I was a little surprised because I didn't expect then to be laying much before June.

Since then, I have been finding the little eggs mostly behind the nest boxes in wee little nests the hens build. It's a very cramped space but I suppose the hens felt secure and comfortable there. As long as they're happy and laying, I'm happy.

No comments: