Friday, May 1, 2009

The "Aawww" Factor

I can't help but be charmed when I walk into the coop and see a little chick curious enough to pop his head out to see what's going on. Just gives me a lift to the day. The "Aaww Factor" alone is enough to convince me that this is the best way for me to raise chicks. The joyful peeps from the little ones and the low, contented clucks of the hen pretty much confirms it.

Having hens raise their own broods has other advantages as well. It's a lot less hassle and work because there is no brooder to take care of and clean. It's also a lot cheaper because I'm not running a heat light for weeks on end.

I've learned a lot by watching this hen, Tokyo Rose, raise her chicks. Almost every book I read cautioned about how delicate little chicks are and how they can't get chilled. They need to be in at 100 degrees F, with absolutely no drafts. Yet these little chicks at two days old were running around in a coop that was barely above freezing and no worse for wear. When they got cold, they scooted underneath mom. In the right environment, chicks are pretty hardy, it seems

No comments: