Friday, February 13, 2009

Wistful Whisk

Hidden amoung the green is a certain creature with a longing for warmer times. This is Whisk, formally known as The-Throw-Away-Kitten-Who-Nobody-Loved-Let-Alone-Concerned-Themselves-About. You can see why we changed her name.

The large floor potted plant in front of one of our bedroom windows is a favorite haunt of Whisk's in the winter. As she looks out the window at the white, blustery winter, I think she finds solace in the green, growing plants.

Whisk is the first semi-outdoor cat I have ever had. All my cats were strictly indoor kitties. Unfortunately, Whisk, likely coming from barn or feral cat parents, will not be confined indoors. In the winter, however, it's a different story. She hates the season with a determination only cats seem to possess, all claws, spittle and teeth. I'll open the door and she'll peek outside, throw me a dirty look and walk haughtily away. Not only does she take the weather as a personal insult, she also seems to thinks it's all my fault.

But life with Princess Pissy Pot of the Universe does have its rewards. She's an excellent mouser but she leaves the young bunnies and chicks alone. And sometimes, when she feels like slumming or the weather has really gotten her down, she curls up beside me in bed, all purry and furry and warm on a winter's night. My favorite furnace has four legs, a tail and purr.

No comments: