Sunday, May 11, 2008

Signs of Life in the Herb Garden

When we first moved here, one of the first things I did was make a herb garden. Since I didn't have a clue of what I was doing, I decided to start small and learn along the way. I've learnt a lot, especially when to harvest herbs like chamomile and St. John's Wort. Before growing them, I would have never thought 'deceptive' would be a description for herbs.

On the whole, the garden has done pretty well and it is very cool to make tinctures, remedies and oil infusions with herbs I have grown and know to be organic through and through. Not to mention picking fresh herbs to throw right into a meal. So I'm thinking of enlarging it this year. It's only about 3 x 20 ft. I have had some success with lasagna or layer gardens last year, I'm hoping I can do that method for expanding this garden.

A couple of days ago, I decided to see how my herb garden was fairing. Since it was a warmish day, or what passes for 'warm' this time of year, I decided to out to pull away all the leaves. I let the leaves stay all winter just for a little protection for the perennials. I was surprised at all the green underneath the brown wet leaves. The comfrey, sage, mint, lemon balm, catnip, oregano and chives all have shoots. It's really nice to be outside in the cool wind but bright sun picking up wet, brown, dead leaves of Autumn past and seeing the tender green new life of Spring. Right now it's more of a promise than a prediction of warm weather, but as the saying goes, "Hope 'springs' eternal".

No comments: