Monday, May 19, 2008

One Garden Done (almost)

Yesterday was an 'iffy' day. It couldn't make up its mind whether to rain or not. The sky alternated from sunny smiles to brooding grey frowns and then back again. So I decided to work in the Butterfly Garden. That way, if the rain did show up, I could quickly finish up and get inside.

As it turned out, I managed to get a lot accomplished. Except for a bit more weeding, the Butterfly Garden is just about done. The garden is spiffed up with fresh home-made compost and few more perennials. I planted some loverage and mullein a friend gave me and transplanted a bee balm planted that had been growing with the tomatoes last year. I decided not to seed comos but to put in calendula seeds instead. They're bright, friendly flowers and I hear they are self-seeding.

I was pleased to see all my lavender plants made it through the winter. I saw just a hint of new green barely visible in the winter-dulled grey-green stems, a gentle victory over Winter's harshness. The lamb's ear, comfortably nestled against a backdrop of rocks and logs, have just started to stretch their fuzzy leaves out in the sun. The lupins did not return but I have their seeds and will probably plant them along our old wooden fence this Autumn. That's the best thing about the Butterfly Garden; the flow and ebb, a plant dies, leaving seeds and planting ideas in my mind of future gardens.

No comments: